"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening."

~Coco Chanel



Sunday, August 29, 2010

Titanic

When ever I think of wars, I always think of these songs that we had to learn from the movie Yankee Doodle Dandy for this American Salute show in 5th grade (funny how I keep tying school to fashion ain't it?). Since I'm sort of lacking in the visuals department today, I'll post some of the videos that I have found.



This first one is the trailer/add for the movie. It sort of has little sections of most of the songs in the movie.





There is a lot of good dancing in this movie, it is a musical, and this is a small snippet. I like that word. :-)



I just happened to come across this last one and found it pretty funny. It's bits of different movies with the same actor that played George M. Cohan in Yankee Doodle Dandy put to 80's pop music... Interesting combo...

Anyhow, you may be wondering what this is all about. And yes, it does have something to do with fashion! Amazing! Well, today I was digging through some of my mom's old things and we found my grandfather's dog tags from when he was in the army. It was sort of weird to see because he's been dead for almost 8 years, but it was sort of awesome, too. And since my mom wasn't going to be doing anything with them, I asked her if I could have them, and she said yes! Score! So, since my wardrobe does not contain a military jacket or belt at the moment (or even combat boots), this will make up for the lack of military style stuff that seems to be trendy right now. Plus it's athentic. That gives me extra brownie points, right? Plus, she let me have my grandpa's letter that he awarded for pole vaulting (aka track). I am lacking a jacket, but hopefully I'll get one soon. Another thing about my grandfather that I find insane; he was Mr. Wisconsin! Who would have thunk?

Other things we found; a total of five rosaries (including one that may or may not contain the ashes of my great-great-aunt, who died at the age of twelve), a pocket watch (with intricate designs on the outside and dated August 24, 1900 on the inside), a locket with engravings of Jesus and Mary on the inside (that I believe belonged to my great-great-aunt because her initials are on it), a vintage beaded necklace with matching earrings, a leather war bond wallet (which could possibly make an excellent clutch), an embroidered coin purse, a 70 year old leather watch (belonging to my great-grandfather), some costume jewlrey, a pocket knife, and a solid gold cross necklace. Turns out my mom has some pretty cool stuff in her dresser after all!

All for today.
Amy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment